Here's the deal: (shamelessly ganked from hellsingreviews then tweaked where needed. Thank you for inspiring this community!)
This is a community for constructive criticism of Naruto fan fiction, both finished stories and works-in-progress. We are affiliated with naruto_betas, an excellent community also dedicated to improving the quality of Naruto fanfiction.
Fanfiction.net is primarily good for two types of reviews: OMG I LOVE IT UPDATE NOW!!!1!! and YOU SUXOR. DIE. So when winter_hermit discovered the lj community hellsingreviews, she thought, "Wouldn't it be cool to have something like this for Naruto fics?" A place for honest criticism of fiction, dedicated to improving the general quality of writing in the Narutoverse.
Several months later (she's a bit lazy) she started narutoreviews.
We are a community for both readers and writers. To authors we offer our services as critics and proofreaders (for characterization, grammar, spelling, punctuation, canon facts, etc.) We only ask that you keep an open mind and be willing to improve. Readers can find here hidden gems: those rare promising fan fictions that might otherwise go unnoticed. Every site with Naruto fan fiction (journals, personal pages, ff.net, boards, adultff.net, mediaminer, etc) will be subject to our evaluation.
1. Respect fellow members' opinions. Do not fight over pairings or characterization. Intelligent debate to expose different POVs is encouraged as long there are no insults involved. Our objective is to stand together against bad fan fiction of any kind, not to bicker amongst ourselves.
2. Do not bash any character of the series! Bashing characters is a stupid, childish action not worthy of real fans.
3. Harsh, mocking, nearly flamish reviews are allowed only when: the author is proven to be closed-minded to constructive criticism, the writer bashes or unnecessarily villainizes a character or characters, the work is a really bad, toxic piece of fiction, the story is a blatent Mary Sue/Gary Stu, the author insults the reviewers, and there is at least one character REALLY OOC, which the author denies (if they already admit it, then no). In ALL other cases, reviews must be objective and polite.
4. In addition to story critiques, members may post discussions of their insights into character’s personalities and relationships and the world they inhabit, without respect to specific reviews. Such opinions should be supported by evidence inside the manga/anime, and are subject to further debate. This type of discussion of members' personal takes on the Naruto characters and world is actually quite welcomed.
5. Crossovers and parodies understandably won't always follow the canon, and a certain degree of OOCness within them is expected. But even these works should still clearly show at least the base elements that make them a fan fiction within the Narutoverse. There should be at minimum a halfway decent explaination of the premise behind the deviations from canon, and of course, the general level of writing should be high.
6. In the Name of Canon, and Good Writing in General, Mary Sues and Gary Stus must be wiped from the face of the planet. We stand united against this self-indulgent, bad form of writing. HOWEVER, this does NOT imply a blanket rejection of original characters. OCs are often critical to the plot, and can be written in such a way as to blend seamlessly with the canon. Be very careful before you accuse a writer of creating a MarySue/Gary Stu.
7. Members may post suggestions about and ideas for future fan works, promote web pages and boards, share links, etc. as long it is connected with Naruto and the creation of good Naruto fan fiction. Resource pages for writers (such as http://www.leafninja.com), sources of inspiring fanart, etc, are all fair game.
8. Members may post (and mock, if necessary) an author's replies to reviews, and the reviews, intelligent critiques and flames published elsewhere, such as those on fanfiction.net.
9. To angry, humorless authors who find their writing critiqued here, please refrain from using the following phrases: “This is my story and I'll do what I want!” “Fuck you all, (add here the homophobic insult of your preference)” “You are just jealous of my talent!” “Why don’t you all die and burn in Hell!” “The world is like this because of you!” “Get a life losers!” and any others of similar sentiment. If you feel you must use them, please prepare to be mocked mercilessly for your lack of originality. The purpose of this site is to improve the fandom, not to hurt the writer’s feelings.
10. Please refrain from using netspeak, if you want to have any chance of being taken seriously. And if you don't know something, ask. It's always okay to ask for clarification.
11. All categories of fiction are fair game for review. This includes general fiction, heterosexual pairings, slash, shounen ai, shoujo ai, yaoi, and yuri. When reviewing pairings, try to concentrate on whether or not the writer makes it work, not your own views on the plausibility/desirability of the couple.
12. While this is an open community, we reserve the right to remove any reviews or other posts we feel do not follow these guidelines.